We were inspired to create the best vegan macaroni and cheese after visiting Soul Veg – a vegan soul food restaurant in Atlanta. We found a recipe online and started working with it as their version, while delicious, was definitely not good for you! The recipe below is the result of a lot of testing to a recipe that we think is one of the best vegan mac and cheeses we’ve ever had!
This will serve 8 people.
2 c non-dairy milk*
1/2 c raw cashews
1/2 c water
2 t salt
4 clove garlic
2 T yellow mustard
2 t paprika
3/4 c nutritional yeast
4 T melted vegan margarine
16 oz. dry noodles
- Cook noodles according to package directions
- In a blender, add milk, water and cashews. Blend on high speed until totally smooth. If you don’t have a high spend blender such as a vitamix, you’ll need to soak the cashews for at least two hours, up to overnight. Make sure you rinse them well.
- Add rest of ingredients except for margarine into blender and process on high speed for 2 minutes.
- With blender running, add in the melted margarine in a stream.
- Add your cooked noodles to an 8 or 9 inch square baking dish (the 8 will be tight, but it will all fit!). Pour cheese sauce over noodles (it seems like a lot of sauce, but it’s not!)
- Cover dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake for another 15.
*Milk replacement preference varies from person to person. But, whatever you choose, PLEASE make sure you’re using an unsweetened, plain variety. Most commercial milks have added sweeteners that we have found add a very unpleasant aftertaste to the dish. Our favorites for this are Almond Breeze original, unsweetened almond milk and So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk. Plain soy milk also works well. Just make sure the ingredients are soy beans and water only!